Virtual SPEAKING ADVOCATES TRAINING PROGRAM.
This new virtual training allows us to offer this opportunity to all residents of Texas. This means for the first time, residents who identify as disabled from every part of the state will come together for our intensive seven-week workshop. By the end of the program, each participant will have a polished and engaging personal story to share as a disability rights advocate. So be sure to invite all your Texas friends.
- Classes are held online on consecutive Saturdays
- January 9, 2021 through February 13, 2021.
- Click here to register.
These classes are an updated online version of our Opening Minds, Opening Doors (OMOD) public speaker training program for adults with disabilities. We combine the art of storytelling with public speaking skills, so our speakers can bring their stories to the general public and challenge misconceptions about what it means to live with a disability. The new program will include training to participate in creating content and producing our new podcast group to launch in 2021.
WE HELP YOU WRITE YOUR PERSONAL STORY
- This is primarily a writing program, and each class will include a brief practice story writing session.
- There will also be writing assignments to be completed at home between classes.
- We will have volunteer coaches/mentors, but some participants may require further assistance 1:1 from a family member or aide to fully participate.
- This virtual version of the training will require participants to be self-directed and motivated.
There will be two additional classes offering an introduction to podcasting for participants who are interested in understanding this growing resource. Participants will be given the opportunity to join a team writing, creating, recording, and producing our planned podcast,
“Speaking Advocates: Changing the World One Story at a Time.” Episodes will feature stories written by graduates of the Speaking Advocates and the Opening Minds Opening Doors trainings.
You Choose Which Classes to Attend
Although the skills taught in the classes are progressive and build throughout the units, they are also designed to be stand-alone classes. New participants who complete the full program will be fully grounded in the process, while our returning members can refresh their skills as they feel the need.
Classes will always be held online on consecutive Saturdays at 1-2:30pm starting January 9th 2021 through February 13th 2021.
- January 9: So, You Want to Be a Speaking Advocate: Change the World One Story at a Time
- January 16: The Power of Sharing and Listening to Personal Stories
- January 23: An Advocate’s Life for Me: Why we tell our Stories
- January 30: Eye of the Beholder: Descriptive Writing 101
- February 6: Public speaking 101
- February 13: Hook ‘em: How to engage an audience from the first moment
- February 20: Making Connections: How to write a powerful ending
You can register for all sessions or individual dates using this online application. Click here to register.
For more information, send an email to Ms Boye at [email protected], or call 1-866-489-84XX. Be sure to leave a callback number.